For some of you there may be joy and excitement with this time of year and for some it is a difficult time of the year. I have personally been in my cave and have been in a dreaming time as we head further into the darkness towards Solstice. So the bustling of all of the shoppers and crowds has been shocking to the system and has taken some navigating!
Certainly, there are many potential stressors that we all may face, from dealing with longer line ups, crowds and shopping to overwhelm and anxiety due to family pressures, expectations and social demands.
Whatever we are experiencing, we all need to practice self-care to meet these potential stressors.
Here is a list of 9 Radical Self Nourishment tips to consider practicing this month.
2. Move your body. Stay in your body while you consciously practice yoga, dance, walk, run, Tai Chi, martial arts, swim, or any other movement that feels good to you.
3. Breathe. Practice conscious breathing everyday to influence your state of mind. Try 10 or more slow deep breaths to calm your mind. Start where your breath is and build up an even ratio over 10 breaths without straining. Notice the pauses between each cycle of breath. This can be done at work, on the bus or anywhere!
4. Feel your feelings. Allow yourself to feel what you feel. If there is sadness, grief, depression, loneliness acknowledge it and take care of it. Fi ind ways to express yourself, whether it is through journalling, sounding, art making, or sharing with a trusted loved one. If you need additional support find a trusted professional (therapist/healer/energy practitioner)that can hold space for you.
5. Do what you love. Nourish your passion. Take some time to becreative, (sing, play music, sound, dance, paint, draw, do puzzles, do photography, write, read a novel etc.) and have fun! Schedule play dates with yourself at least once a week.
6. Practice healthy boundaries. Learn to say no. When we say no we are saying yes to ourselves which is key to our self care.
7. Finding Centre. There are many ways to come home to your centre whether it is through sound, chanting, yoga, meditation, dance, walking the labyrinth, ceremony or yoga Nidra, an ancient yogic practice of deep relaxation. ( Visit my website and claim your free gift of Yoga Nidra!)
8. Gather in community. As humans we need community to be whole. Yet sometimes we feel isolated and disconnected from family and community. Find ways to reach out to existing communities and or seek new ones.
9. Co-creating meaningful ceremony. In the West many ceremonies have lost their meaning and have left a spiritual void. Participating in meaningful ceremony or creating our own that resonates with our core values can bring us into a state of deep peace and deep reverence for life and nature. This is true nourishment for the soul.
Deborah Brodey is a Transformation Guide, Yoga Teacher and Sound Healer. She is the founder of the Radical Self Nourishment Program for Change makers a self care program designed for Healers, holistic practitioners and other change makers out there. As a cross pollinator and catalyzer who guides and facilitates unique co-creative processes, Deborah assists her clients to embody radical Self Nourishment and discover their true voices as they step fully into their power. She is a member of the inner Arts Collective and has an MA in Adult Education and transformative learning has been teaching yoga for over 17 years.